Thursday, October 29, 2009

Recession Busters #60 Fun food & frugality

1.I really enjoyed Clara's video. I liked her little side stories of the price of potatoes in the depression, having to quit high school because no money for socks or clothes and a lady trying to steal from her garden.

Here's a Recession Recipe from the net. Looks like I could have picked an even cheaper one, but this is something I have eaten before and really like so...
Here is a healthy and frugal recipe that my husband, daughter & I LOVE (my son, not so much...). I fix this when green peppers are 4/$1 ~ I usually have the rest of the ingredients on hand.

2 medium sized green peppers


1 lb 90% lean ground beef


1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)


2 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into small wedges


1/2 cup long grain rice


1/2 cup water


2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce


1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano, crushed


1/4 teaspoon pepper


1/2 cup shredded lower-fat natural cheddar cheese (2 ounces)


Halve peppers lengthwise and remove stem ends, seeds, and membranes. Immerse peppers into boiling water for 3 minutes. Invert onto paper towels to drain well.


In a large skillet cook meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in the tomatoes, uncooked rice, water, Worcestershire sauce, basil or oregano, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or till the rice is tender. Stir in half of the cheese. Spoon meat mixture into peppers. Place peppers in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spoon any remaining meat mixture into baking dish.


Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven about 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes or till the cheese melts. Makes 6 servings.


Enjoy and God bless ~ Thrifty Gal

I really enjoyed Clara's video. I liked her little side stories of the price of potatoes in the depression, having to quit high school because no money for socks or clothes and a lady trying to steal from her garden.
2. Tips on recession I've read about in the media include shopping around for car insurance, and increasing deductibles to lower rates and cutting out unnecessary coverage, and using the library!
3.Tips I've used include the obvious: buying soup, eating in more, turning up thermostat not running heater, avoiding driving and trips, saving and using coins, and adding water to liquid soap (also wearing jeans twice-yuck!)
2.
2.

No comments: