Saturday, October 31, 2009

#53 Finding Books Online

1. The three closest bookstores according to google are Family Christian Bookstore, Andy's Bookstore, and Libreria Cristiana Amisadai. Family Christian has an online prescence with a sophisticated website as it is part of a chain-great graphics and sections for movies, pre-buy, email sign-up, clearance, kids, apparrel, and music besides books.
2. At Barnes and Noble Animal Shelter Mystery is $4.50 or $4.05 member, $1.99 used. I did not find an ebook for it on Barnes and Noble or Harris County for listening or reading online.
3. The ebook I chose was off of 20+ places for public domain ebooks;they had many sites for ebooks listed -I clicked on many books.net. At first I tried Abbot's Ghost by Louisa May Alcott, but the language was very formal so I then chose Adopting an Abandoned Farm by Kate Sanborn 49pg unabridged. It tells of a poet around 1889 who visits a friend in the country and decides to rent a house across the street for 3years for 40 dollars. It takes place in Gooseville, Conn. and assumed name for Foxboro, Mass. It tells of her experiences with local auctions, horses, dogs, hens, etc. I don't prefer reading online at length compared to print-unless it's news or something, but that gets annoying too with so many changes to websites with videoclips, etc. I only read about 20 pages in 30 minutes. It was hard to focus at times and when I scrolled down it would jump to the next page alot before I'd read the last paragraph on the page. A smaller device I would like even less, although it would be advantageous in a situation where you're waiting somewhere like at an airport,etc. Also, it can't be damaged or lost like a book, at least not in the same way-water damage still issue. Also, I like how they are automatically returned. Books more intimate of course.

No comments: